Marijuana Toxicosis In A Puppy | The Number Of Cases Of Marijuana Toxicosis In Dogs Is Increasing

You may also like...

21 Responses

  1. Thank you so much for this post. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have had companies approach me asking me to review things that have “cannabis” in them and I have declined. They keep telling me it is safe in certain products for dogs and I don’t believe them.

  2. You’re welcome! I’m glad you enjoyed my post.

  3. Earl Lover says:

    Really good, informative post! Thanks.

  4. Emmadog says:

    Geez! It is a drug no matter if it is legal or not and just like all drugs and medications, they need to be kept out of reach of pets. Poor pup!

  5. You’re right, Emma. It is especially important to keep potentially toxic substances out of reach of pets when you have a puppy in the house since puppies get into everything.

  6. raisingdaisy says:

    I never thought about dogs getting into marijuana bags, that is so scary. I’m so glad you put this post up so those who use it for any reason might at least consider the risk to their pets. This issue should get a lot more exposure. My heart went out to poor Charlie, just a victim of his owner’s thoughtlessness. Thanks for this post.

  7. I’m glad you enjoyed my post, RaisingDaisy. Please help to get this important information out by sharing this post. Thank you!

  8. Tori says:

    It’s a little different, but I know so many people who think it’s cool to smoke with their pet in the room. Some will even deliberately blow smoke in the animal’s face. They never believe me when I say it can kill them. Thanks for this post.

  9. Thank you for sharing, Tori. I heard about a case where a dog was kept in a bedroom with the owner while his owner smoked marijuana. This resulted in intoxication of the dog and necessitated a trip to the veterinarian for emergency care. Please share this post with your friends so they will understand the dangers involved with exposing their pets to marijuana smoke. Thank you.

  10. Elaine says:

    Sadly, I think vets are going to be seeing more and more cases like this. I’m glad Charlie pulled through okay and at least his owner sought some help, although not as quickly as he should have.

  11. I hope that the number of cases of marijuana toxicosis in dogs does not continue to increase, Elaine. Maybe with more education on the dangers of marijuana intoxication in dogs, people will be more careful to keep their marijuana and marijuana products out of reach of their pets. I hope so. Please share this post and spread the word!

  12. Cathy Armato says:

    Wow, this is shocking information. I hadn’t considered that the legalization of marijuana would result in so many products containing marijuana, especially food products! People will need to be extremely diligent in keeping marijuana or any marijuana infused products out of reach of their pets. I’m so glad little Charlie made it through this ordeal, poor thing. Thank you so much for sharing this.

  13. You’re welcome, Cathy. I spent a lot of time researching information about marijuana in the United States for this blog post, and I was shocked by a lot of the things I learned, too.

  14. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Another great reminder to keep all drugs, legal or not, out of the reach of our pets!

  15. jeandion says:

    I worked in a veterinary ER for a time in Oregon, and we saw a number of dogs with marijuana exposure. At the time, the drug wasn’t legal and I had many owners flat-out deny that the dog had been exposed to the drug, even when we could smell it on the dog or the human. I think they thought we’d call the police… It used to upset me no end, as we really wanted quick drug confirmation, so we could move to the treatment portion of things a little faster!

  16. I can certainly understand your frustration in that situation, Jean! I think that maybe pet parents are more willing to be forthright about their pet being exposed to marijuana now – at least in states where it is legal. You’re right, it makes our job as veterinary professionals so much easier if we know exactly what toxicosis we are trying to treat!

  17. As with all substances that are not meant to be consumed by pets, it should be kept out of their reach. I’m glad the pup is okay.

  18. I am very glad that Charlie responded well to treatment, too, M.K. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

  19. Ali Isaac says:

    Gosh, this is something I had never considered… are dogs particularly attracted to it? I know that my Indi would eat practically anything, but I think even he would draw the line at something like a bag of herbs. I had no idea that people put it into so many varied products. I’m glad poor little Charlie was ok.