I’ve Been Nominated for the Liebster Award!
By Rachele Baker, DVM – I was very pleased to learn that Elaine from Chasing Dog Tales nominated me for the Liebster Award. Thank you very much, Elaine!
The Liebster Award is a way to recognize fellow bloggers whose posts we enjoy and to let our readers know about blogs that we recommend. Accepting the Liebster Award means answering 11 questions from the person who nominated you, adding 11 random facts about yourself, then nominating 3-11 fellow bloggers while adding 11 of your own questions for them to answer. This gives readers the opportunity to get to know these bloggers on a more personal level.
11 Questions Elaine Asked Me:
1. What’s your primary motivation for blogging?
I started blogging in 2013 after I wrote and published my first book Eighteen Months To Live. Eighteen Months To Live contains the daily journal that my mother kept in her final months of life after a diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma. I wrote the prologue, epilogue, and narration. Writing my first book opened up a whole new world to me as a member of a community of authors and bloggers.
After writing and publishing my first book, I decided that I wanted to write and publish books about veterinary medical issues in dogs and cats. So now my blog has changed direction to be about dogs and cats.
2. How would you describe your dog’s personality?
My golden retriever, Savanna, was given to me by one of my clients who didn’t want her anymore. That client was an older woman and her granddaughter had convinced her to get a rambunctious golden retriever puppy. It was not a good fit. When I first adopted Savanna, she had an extreme “alpha dog” personality and it took a while to convince her that I was the pack leader. But now she is the most gentle, loving, and sweet dog that I have ever had. I love her to pieces.
3. What do you find most frustrating about blogging?
Finding the time to blog because I work full-time and I am in the process of writing a book.
4. What do you find most rewarding about blogging?
Definitely the feedback that I receive in the form of comments on my blog posts.
5. What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
I was born in California and I have lived in California most of my life, but I grew up in Vermont.
6. What have you learned from your dog?
Relax and enjoy life.
7. What was the hardest thing to teach your dog?
That I was the alpha female in the pack.
8. What type of articles do you enjoy working on the most?
Articles on topics that I want to learn more about myself. I do the research and I learn a lot in the process.
9. If you could share only one piece of wisdom with novice dog owners, what would it be?
Having a dog (or any pet) is a long term commitment – emotionally, physically (in caring for its needs), and financially. Set aside money for your pet’s routine wellness care as well as for unexpected medical problems/emergencies. Consider purchasing pet insurance. More than once I have had clients come in with a new puppy that they paid $1,500 (or more) for who told me that they could not afford to pay for their puppy’s vaccinations. Owning and caring for a pet involves considerable expense – whether you buy a pedigreed dog or adopt a mixed breed dog.
10. What do you have planned in the near future for your blog?
I am working on a post about food allergies in dogs.
11. What makes you laugh?
My dog, “Off The Leash” cartoons on Facebook, silly things….
11 Random Facts About Me:
- My favorite pizza toppings are goat cheese, marinated artichoke hearts, and black olives.
- I like everything in my refrigerator to have the labels facing forward so I can read them.
- When I am home alone and feeling happy, sometimes I burst into song and will sing the same song repeatedly throughout the day. Loudly. I usually sing some silly song that is from “way back when.” I am not sure how my dog and cat feel about it but they seem to tolerate it. They don’t go running for cover or anything.
- I love to go kayaking. Ocean kayaking, lake kayaking, anywhere is fine with me.
- I trained for, and ran in, the San Francisco Bay to Breakers (7 ½ miles) twice. I have the photos to prove it.
- I love to read books about people who moved to France and lived their dream.
- I am teaching myself to speak, read, and write French using Fluenz.
- I think I am close to mastering the French “r” sound.
- I like to watch The Bachelor and other reality shows.
- My favorite movies are romantic comedies.
- I love living near the ocean and looking out over the ocean – although I am not living close to the ocean right now.
My Nominees for the Liebster Award:
- Sharon at Lessons From A Paralyzed Dog
- Bernadette at The Creative Cat
- Jen at Puppy Leaks
- Roxanne at Champion Of My Heart
- Joanna at Creature Clinic
Please take a few minutes to check out the wonderful blogs of my nominees. I’m sure you will enjoy them!
Should you accept this award, here are the rules:
- Acknowledge and accept the Liebster Award by leaving a comment on the blog where you were nominated.
- Copy and paste the Liebster Award logo onto your own blog.
- Link back to the blogger who awarded you.
- Answer the 11 questions put to you by the person who nominated you.
- List 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate and link to 3 to 11 other blogs you enjoy that have less than 3000 followers or are less than 12 months old.
- List 11 questions for your Liebster Award nominees on your blog.
- Inform your nominees by leaving a comment on their blog.
11 Questions for My Nominees:
- What motivated you to start your blog and how long have you been blogging?
- Where do you get the ideas for your blog posts?
- Do you ever get “writer’s block,” and, if so, how do you deal with it?
- What is your favorite food?
- What is the best advice you can give your fellow bloggers about how to get new subscribers?
- Do you belong to any writers’ or bloggers’ associations and, if so, which ones?
- What is the best feedback you have ever gotten on a blog post?
- What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
- How do you get the word out about your blog posts –Twitter, Facebook, others?
- Have you been to a BlogPaws Conference? If so, share your experience with us.
- What is your greatest joy in life?